St Remigius Church. Click on it to enter the siteHethersett - A Norfolk Village on the Web

Site Links

Home Page

 

Community

 

Amenities

Big Society

Businesses

Community Groups

Community Info

Green Village

Hethersett Links

Memorial Field

Noticeboard

Organisations

Parish Council

People 

Sports Association

Sports Clubs

Village Facts

Village Comment

What's On

 

News/Publicity

 

Archive News

Media Watch

 

Issues

 

Village Development

 

Events

 

Open Weekend

 

History

 

Book of  Hethersett

Buildings

Kett's Rebellion

Millennium Diary

Reminiscences

Then and Now

Village History

Wartime Hethersett

 

Photographs

 

Aerial Photo

Photographs

 

Personal

 

Lost and Found

Personal Ads

Small Ads

Wanted and Offered

 

Miscellanous

 

Comments about Site

Genealogy

In Memoriam

Looking for

Other Hethersetts

Poetry Corner

Safety Advice

Site Index

Weather

 

E-Mail this site

 

The Hollies - Great Melton Road

Built in the mid-nineteenth century of red bricks in Flemish bond with a low pitched hipped slate roof, the Hollies is a good example of a Victorian house having most of its external features intact. The central doorway has a classical doorcase with fluted Tuscan columns under a canopy with a cornice of paired modillions to match those set around the house eaves.

Inside there is much original joinery including sash windows panelled doors and window shutters. Outside to the left stood a small barn with stabling which has recently been demolished leaving one wall as a garden feature. A modern conservatory in sympathetic design is built on the west wall of the house. At the rear is a well eight metres deep which is capped below ground with a brick arched dome.

There had been, on the opposite side of Great Melton Road, a windmill from 1829 until the mid 1860s. It had been owned by George Robertson, who was so successful as a miller that he had the Hollies built. In 1858 it was described in sale particulars as "An excellent dwelling house with barn, stable, flour shop and warehouse".

An abstract of title shows that the house was owned by Henry William Back in 1920 who sold it to Frederick Sharman, grocer and draper for 475. At that time it was occupied by Nicholas Buckingham. Richenda Anne Sharman inherited it from her husband in 1925. There were no further transactions until 1946, when Robert William Reeve,