Then and Now
File 6 - Village Sign and Pump
In 1707 that piece of the Norwich to London road between Cringleford and Attleborough, which passed through Hethersett, became owned by the Turnpike Trust.
They became responsible for its maintenance including watering its surface.
During 1820 and 1840, five or six wells were sunk by the roadside between Cringleford and Wymondham at regular intervals and pumps were erected.
Their purpose was for watering the road with the aid of a patent Street Watering Cart. Misuse of water by filling villagers' buckets or cattle troughs was inhibited by padlocking the pump handle.