St Remigius Church. Click on it to enter the siteHethersett - A Norfolk Village on the Web

Site Links

LATEST NEWS

WHAT'S ON

NOTICEBOARD

INDEX PAGE

HOME PAGE

 

Village History

Community Info

Night Classes

Then and Now

Buildings

Organisations

People 

Sports Clubs

Hethersett Links

Photographs

Village Facts

Book of  Hethersett

Millennium Diary

Archive news

Memories

Other Hethersetts

Weather .

In Memoriam

Genealogy

Wartime Hethersett

Aerial Photo 

Hethersett Jottings 2005

E-Mail this site

Safety Advice 

Then and Now

No. 1 - St Remigius Church

 

Hethersett had a church at the time of the Domesday record of 1086. 

How long before is not known. Today's church dates from the fourteenth century. 

The early chancel fell into ruin after Dissolution and from 1636 the east bay of the nave began to be used as the chancel. 

The sketch above was made by J. B. Ladbrooke in 1821 and gives the church a dilapidated appearance suggesting that this chancel together with the north aisle were roofless. 

Four years later in 1825 all is made well in Fanny Norgate's sketch (opposite).

The picture by Nora Pearson c1998 (below left)  shows the 1897 rebuild of the chancel and the additions of north and south

transepts made by extending the aisles eastwards. The photograph of the modern church at the top was taken in January 2002.

For a full history of the church please click here.

Unusual Weathervane

The church tower supports a steeple which is topped by a weathervane of rather unusual design. 

The living was in the gift of Caius College, Cambridge, and the design embodies the crest worn by Dr Caius, who founded Gonville College, later to become Gonville and Caius, in the late sixteenth century. 

The dove, perched upon a coiled serpent, is represented holding in its beak what was the styled flower gentle, otherwise known as "Amaranthus", love-lies-bleeding, a symbol of immortality.